Same shit, different day. Sometimes I get some different shit on the same day.

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

A law unto themselves
On the way home on monday it was cold, dark and wet, myself and the SV were being sensible. Near home I was approaching a 90 deg bend which is fairly wide and can be taken quite fast (a knee down bend) but, is nonetheless blind. I lent the SV over a bit and rounded the bend only to be met with the site of a police car, lights and sirens blazing, hurtling towards me up the middle of the road, overtaking a line of traffic coming the opposite way (to me) I saw it in good time, braked and moved over. As I looked in my mirror I saw the police go flying round the bend, on the wrong side, still overtaking. If I had been less than 10 secs later they would have been wearing me on the bonnet as a mascot.
The police here have been repeatedly quoted as saying that the enormous growth in the number of speed cameras is for safety and not revenue generation as "speed is a factor" in most accidents. Well I'd say that driving on the wrong side of the road and overtaking round a blind bend could have been a factor in my death!.
The bend in question has an entrance to a yard or something right on the apex and this could be considered as run-off, if I had been later arriving it is possible that I could have avoided a head on with the police by swerving on to the run-off. This would have certainly caused me to crash and receive injury, as the run-off was wet, gritty, not that big and surrounded by banks and fencing. I wonder what chance I would have had in claiming compensation from the police? or whether the driver would have been done for dangerous driving?

No comments: